Auburn Uniting Church

The Uniting Church in Australia

The Uniting Church in Australia (UCA) was established on 22 June 1977 when most congregations of the Methodist Church of Australasia, the Presbyterian Church of Australia and the Congregational Union of Australia came together under the Basis of Union.

The theology can be typified as mainline Protestantism with a commitment to social justice. UnitingCare is the largest operator of general social care activities in Australia, including being the largest operator of aged care facilities. Other activities include “central missions”; shelters and emergency housing for men, women and children; family relationships support; disability services; and food kitchens for underprivileged people.

Read more


History of the Auburn Congregation

The Congregation began life as a Wesleyan Methodist preaching place in 1853, when the first service was held under a gum tree near the corner of Auburn and Riversdale Roads.

The illustration shows artist Roy Brisbane's imagined impression of the scene. It is the frontispiece of a booklet called This Temple of Grace by Geoffrey Vertigan produced in 1989, which describes the first 100 years of the congregation at Oxley Road.

For the first 100 years the congregation expanded to overfill this large church but, since the second world war, has been reducing in size.

See our Self-guided Tour Brochure.

auburn uniting church building history

History of the Church Buildings

Methodism was born in song and inherits the rich treasury of the Wesleys’ hymns and Christian musical traditions. The prominence given to the organ and choir in the design of our church are a reflection of this tradition.

The Church, Hall, Manse, Caretaker’s Cottage and other buildings on the site were all built 1888-89 and the whole complex is heritage listed. This is the third brick church built by this congregation. The first one was built in Riversdale Road (on the corner of Munro Street) and the second was built in 1867 in Burwood Road (on the west corner of William Street).

See our Heritage Brochure about our buildings.